Thursday, December 7, 2023

The Good, The Bad, and The Happy

 

Hello! Back in June of 2022 I took a blog break (here) due to many changes in my life. I discovered that at my age I don’t adjust to changes as well as I did in my younger years. I tried to return to blogging this last March but only managed two posts. Well, I’m back once more with no promises on how often I’ll be able to post, but I’m going to try. I’ve missed all my blog friends!

The past year and a half has been quite a ride. Yes, there’s been good, bad, and thankfully also some happiness. I’ve been incredibly busy learning to handle all kinds of new challenges while at the same time, I’ve swept some of my own problems along with some depression under the rug. It’s hard to take time for yourself when you have other things and people to care for. But I’m getting there, one day at a time and we are both still blessed with love and support from these two sweet cats!

Zeus, always in charge!
Sophie with her Christmas bear.


Here’s a quick rundown of what’s been going on since I last posted:

The Good – Tom and I are both doing better at dealing with Tom’s health problems and the many ways they affect our lives. I am adjusting to being the only one taking care of everything as well as being the only one driving. I’m even learning to get used to driving in places that I used to always avoid, like downtown Kansas City! I guess I had gotten spoiled with Tom doing so much of the driving and helping with other things. 

Tom is more comfortable using his walker now and we are both doing better at dealing with it in many different situations. It does come with a bit of a learning curve. In fact, I’ve even bought a second walker to leave in the car for when we go out. 

When I first took the blog break, I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish but when Tom’s health became worse all those things went to the back burner again. Finally, I have been slowly accomplishing many of the items on my list. Also, I am doing better at getting Tom out of the house a little more. He has spent far too much time confined to the house in the past couple of years. I’m also doing a little better at trying to remember to take care of me too.

The Bad – Last April Tom had a mini-stroke (or TIA) that sent him back to the hospital for a few days. Then I had a cancer scare last August and had to have a breast biopsy. Thankfully it was negative, but I still have to be tested every six months due to ongoing concerns. Both of these situations were frightening and set us each back a bit but we are grateful that they were not as bad as they could have been.

The Happy – Our granddaughter Annika got married on September 23! She and Nick have been dating for several years and got engaged about a year ago. We love Nick and already felt like he was part of the family even before the wedding. It was a beautiful, large wedding and a very happy day for all of us!


   

I may write some posts about a couple of these things I’ve mentioned but for now, I have rattled on far too much! I hope you are all well and happy! I’ve missed you!



32 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie! Welcome back to the blogosphere - I am sure I am not the only one who found your post as a happy surprise this morning.
    Thankfully, your "bad" turned out not to be quite as bad as it looked at first, and you still have each other.
    Much of what you say about Tom's health and you now being the one person to take care of everything reminds me of the last four years of my Dad's life. Like you, my Mum had to learn to take care of her own needs, too, and I must say her health suffered a lot during those years. Only now, about a year after my Dad's passing, she is better (turning 80 next year!).
    Your granddaughter getting married must have been a true highlight for all the family. If everything was set up as beautifully as the picture of the couple and their bridesmaids etc., it must have been all super stylish :-)
    My favourite pictures are, of course, those of Zeus and Sophie.

    Looking forward to "seeing" you again a bit more often now, but please don't ever feel pressured into writing if you don't have time or don't feel like it. Blogging should be fun and never a burden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike! It is wonderful to see you again. I'm happy to hear your Mum is doing better. This past year must have been difficult for all of you.
      Annika's wedding was a happy highlight of an otherwise stressful year. With the help of many friends and family they had a beautiful wedding on a very tight budget!
      I hope you are well and happy and please send your Mum all my best!

      Delete
  2. Good morning Bonnie. I often think about you and even imagine that you are reading my blog. It feels complete to me each day to think of my small blog family reading. Thank you for the update on your news and how your lives are now. One just copes with what is thrown at us doesn't one? Nice to see Zeus and Sophie with you "helping". I hope that you will be able to post every now and again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I have missed you! I have been reading your blog as much as I have been able but I still feel like I have much to catch up on. I am sorry to read that you have had some health problems and I do hope you are feeling better. You are so right when you say we just cope with what life throws us. We don't have much choice do we?
      It is good to see you again! xx


      Delete
  3. I hope the rest of this year and the coming one will hold more "happy" for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. We all go through our share of ups and downs but I am sure looking for more of those happy times! I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Bonnie!! So glad you're back, and getting us updated. You're already aware that you need to attend to your own needs, too, no need to remind you. Any time you blog is a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Boud! It is good to see you! I look forward to catching up with you. I hope you are well and enjoying the season.

      Delete
  5. Hi Bonnie! So glad to see you back!
    It's been a rough last couple of years for me, too, but in a different way than what you two have been going through. (Thrilled you didn't have cancer!) I hope you come back again soon. I have missed you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, I am happy to see you! You have been so sweet about keeping up with me and I definitely owe you an email. There's been so much taking my time away from me and I've missed all my friends. I hope your health has improved and your family is well. I'll be writing you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear from you, Bonnie - your life has taken some unwelcome turns over the last 18 months and you've had to learn how to accommodate all of that. I understand what that's like. There isn't much energy left after the essentials get done. I often have the feeling that I've learned a lot but I wish I hadn't had to do so; it seems you might be experiencing the same thing. I'm so glad you had the bright spot of your daughter's wedding! Here's to more bright spots ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It is great to see you again. You have unfortunately learned a lot that I wish you didn't have to learn either. We've had some rough times recently but I know it could be worse. I try to appreciate every positive thing especially the small ones.
      I hope you and your lovely cats are all well and happy and enjoy the holidays.

      Delete
    2. Just realized my mistake - I meant granddaughter :) Congratulations to her and her husband; wishing them a long, happy and healthy life together.
      And wishing you and all your family the joys of the season!

      Delete
    3. No biggie, and thank you for your good wishes! It was so nice to have such a happy occasion!

      Delete
  8. Good to see you blog again. You have to take good care of yourself as a caretaker, it is not easy, one day at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It's good to see you! I have a feeling I could learn a lot from you. I hope you, Far Guy and the rest of your family have a beautiful holiday season!

      Delete
  9. Welcome back Bonnie, I have missed your posts. Even if you post infrequently that would be great. It sounds as if you have had a busy time. Now hopefully things are easing up a little bit for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you Jackie! I'm still working on having better time management as my life has been busier than ever. Hopefully I will manage to post more often. I hope you are well Jackie!

      Delete
  10. Welcome back, Bonnie. Some major changes in your life, that's for sure. Just new things to cope with. You will do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! Thank you for the vote of confidence. You know, that helps!

      Delete
  11. Good to see you back. You had dropped off my sidebar. I'm struggling with my own health issues, which puts my wife in a similar situation as you, but we keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you Tasker. I'm sorry about your health, I was not aware. It's wonderful to see you are still blogging. I have always enjoyed your posts.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the update Bonnie! Very happy news about your granddaughter - I wish her and her husband many years of happiness together! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone. Their wedding was definitely the highlight of our year. I haven't been commenting but I have been watching and enjoying your videos! x

      Delete
  13. How lovely to see a comment from you on my blog and to find you are back - Hope you enjoy writing your blog again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I've enjoyed catching up with your blog. I hope you and your family are having a good holiday season!

      Delete
  14. What a pleasant surprise! It's so nice to see you, Bonnie. Congratulations on having a wedding in the family. I hope your granddaughter and her husband will be very happy. Please take good care of yourself. It's usually easier to take care of someone else than it is to take care of oneself.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Janie, it's good to see you too. Thank you for your good wishes. You know you're right, it is easier to take care of someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BONNIE!!! You're back!!! It's so good to see you here again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So nice to see a post from you, Bonnie. Was hoping you and DH were doing okay and am glad to read that you are coping with the ups and downs of life. Little darlings...those ups and downs...aren't they just??
    Hoping 2024 has good things in store for you.
    Mary (the non-blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary, it is wonderful to hear from you again! I hope you are well and have had a good holiday season. I want to get back into blogging if I can manage to organize my time a bit better. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!